Au Gratin Potatoes is one more family favourite dish in our home! It is simple and easy to put together and you can eat it as a side dish or in this case add some fresh spring beans and leftover shredded chicken to the potatoes.
As many readers may know, I am very careful with the way I cook. It’s very important for us to eat healthy but in an enjoyable way for everyone. While preparing this dish I thought about wanting it to be clean.
I could of poured over the layers of potatoes, milk but I chose not to. The taste was amazing without the milk. It is not at all dry because while cooking in the oven I covered it with foil, using this process, the potatoes are cooking in its own steam.
The most difficult part of this recipe was giving it a name! Did I make Scalloped Potatoes or Au Gratin Potatoes? What is the difference? So I did some research and this is what I found.
Scalloped Potatoes are thicker than Au Gratin Potatoes. This dish is cooked in Cream, milk or a sauce. You may sprinkle breadcrumbs on top or not. The idea is to spread a lot of cream and grated cheese in between layers. Then bake until the cream or sauce reduces and the potatoes are surrounded in a rich creamy sauce.
Au Gratin Potatoes are 1/8-inch thick and the idea is to use cheese between layers and over the top. You can also sprinkle breadcrumbs on top as well. When baking the cheese melts in between layers and crispy golden on top.
Being said, this recipe is Au Gratin Potatoes, Spring Beans and Chicken. We added to the potatoes leftover chicken from the night before, a hand full of spring beans and in between layers we used Ricotta cheese. It was very delicious. Over the top I grated some Mozzarella cheese, added some herbs and sprinkle a hand full of breadcrumbs to make a crispy top.
I would totally recommend a mandoline to successfully make this recipe, it’s very useful to have in the kitchen!
Au Gratin Potatoes Spring Beans and Chicken
A prefect dish to enjoy as is! Filled with Spring Beans, Shredded Chicken and Ricotta cheese!
- 500 grams Potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 250 grams green beans,chopped
- 300 grams chicken, boneless and shredded
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 280 grams Ricotta, soft white cheese
- 1/2 tbsp dry basil
- 1/2 tbsp dry parsley
- 1 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
- dry parsley, sprinkle
- breadcrumbs, a hand full
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a medium casserole dish with olive oil and then set aside.
- Step 2 With a mandoline, slice the potatoes into very thin slices, 1/8-inch thick.
- Step 3 In a large bowl, place in the potatoes, drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle the ground garlic, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, toss and shuffle to coat the potato slices evenly.
- Step 4 Spread 1/3 of the potato slices into the prepared dish. Place over the potatoes the chopped spring beans and the shredded chicken. Crumble 1/2 of the Ricotta cheese over the top and finish easy layer by sprinkling dry basil and parsley. Repeat with process 2 more times, except for the Ricotta Cheese. Over the finishing layer, evenly spread grated Mozzarella cheese, and then to finish off, sprinkle dry parsley and breadcrumbs over the dish.
- Step 5 Cover the dish with foil, bake for 40 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 20 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the potatoes are fork tender. Serve hot.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on the link and end up buying the product, I make a percentage of the sale! The products that I mention on my post I truly recommend them.