These Baked Butternut Squash Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts are all about goodness in every bite. Baked Pumpkin / butternut squash cinnamon sugar doughnuts are the words that sound super healthy combined into a doughnut that every kid would love to taste and have for a snack.
Happy Monday! It is the season to explore some pumpkin bakes. What better than fresh baked doughnuts. But, before exploring, we need to go pumpkin picking. So that is what we did a couple of weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and while Rodrigo was picking the best pumpkins to carve we were choosing the best looking pumpkins to bake and to cook. We brought a few home, the green pumpkins we used for soup, the big orange ones for carving and roasting, butternut squash for bakes and for Scarlett’s puree.
For this week the most voted bake went to doughnuts. We are not a big fan of fried bakes, especially if it’s us making them at home. We simply prefer to bake than fry. Never the less, we did accept the challenge and after a couple of attempts we made delicious baked butternut squash doughnuts coated in cinnamon and sugar.
Our inspiration in baking these doughnuts are from the time our grandparents would fry “Pumpkin Filhoses”. It’s one of our favorite desserts in the Portuguese cuisine. I know, it’s so different from Baked butternut squash doughnuts, but we wanted to get those rich flavors that we so remember into our doughnuts. As with the “Pumpkin Filhoses” they are coated with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar just right after frying, so we did the same. But first, before coating the baked doughnut we brush them with warm water or melted butter and then dip the doughnut into the mixture and coat them evenly on both sides.
It was a surprise to us! These doughnuts are yummy, delicious, soft and they melt in your mouth. Our grandparents would be proud to eat one of our delicious baked doughnuts.
I would totally recommend a doughnut baking sheet to successfully make this Baked Butternut Squash Doughnuts, it’s wonderful and helpful for baking!
Baked Butternut Squash Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts | makes 18
- For the doughnuts
- 1 ½ cups (750g) butternut squash puree, cubed
- ½ cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- For the coating
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Step 1 Peel and remove the seeds from the butternut squash. Cut into small cubes. In a medium pot, boil water. Lower to medium heat when it comes to a boil. Add in the chopped butternut squash and salt, to taste. Let cook until tender and soft.
- Step 2 Drain the water and transfer the butternut squash into a cheese cloth. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- Step 3 Strain it and squeeze its liquid out.
- Step 4 Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat well the doughnut baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Step 5 In a mixing stand bowl, add in the puree, the oil, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, to taste. Blend the ingredients on medium low speed until combined.
- Step 6 In a medium bowl sieve the baking powder and the flour. Add the flour mixture into the batter and blend on medium low speed until combined.
- Step 7 Spoon the batter into a pastry bag and fill in the prepared doughnut sheet. Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Step 8 In a medium bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon for the coating.
- Step 9 Brush melted butter or water on both sides of the doughnut and then dip and coat them into the cinnamon mix. Let cool on the rack.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on the link and end up buying this product, I make a percentage of the sale! The products that I mention on my post I truly recommend them.