It takes 5 minutes to cook perfect juicy Braised Whole White Clam Shells! That is all it took. Delicious! My husband this weekend surprised me with these beautiful whole white Clam Shells that he brought from the fish market. Better than that, was he suggesting that he would cook them himself. So I was excited to try his dish. I enjoy seeing my husband cook for me. It is a treat.
Before braising the clams, he scrubbed them well and while he was doing that he put all the ingredients at the same time in the pot. Never allowing it to over cook or burn. If that ever happened, the best thing to do is throw it all away, then wipe out the pot and start again. He then tossed the clams into the pot and covered them with a lid. He explains that Clams, only open when they are cooked all the way through. If some of the clams have not opened, they were not cooked long enough or they were bad to begin with.
Clams should only take 4 minutes to cook. We don’t want to overcook them. When clams open, they release their natural juice. Serve the clams in their juice and enjoy soaking up the juice with homemade garlic bread. I noticed that my husband used a large wide pot while braising the Clams. It seems that clams need space to open. So if you don’t have a wide pot, toss only a few at a time. Garnished the dish by sprinkling fresh chopped coriander.
If you enjoy eating Braised Clams, then I would recommend a dish full of Braised Shrimp. These two dishes go really well together.
Braised Whole White Clam Shells
I close my eyes and while I eat them, it reminds me of the Coast of Portugal.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely slices
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, dices
- 1/3 cup white wine
- pinch of salt , to taste
- 1 LB (454g) white clam with Shell
- Step 1 Rinse and scrub the clams.
- Step 2 Preheat a medium Heavy-bottomed pot, to a medium heat.
- Step 3 Add the olive oil, onion, bay leaf, garlic cloves, the wine and a pinch of salt.
- Step 4 Braise for a few minutes and then add in the clams.
- Step 5 Cover the clams with a lid, this will help the clams to open.
- Step 6 After 4 minutes, remove the lid. All of the clams should be opened.
- Step 7 Reduce the heat, and let the clams sit in its juice for 2 more minutes.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?