Very young I had taught myself to be organized, to plan ahead and to save money where ever I could. I learned very quickly that this had to happen, the moment I had my first child. It wasn’t easy for me to be myself, especially, when I had my first child. I didn’t have much free time for myself nor time to organize or plan ahead. During the day, I would play it as it went, but when it came to saving money and budgeting that was a different story.
I love cooking, so I enjoy having what I need in the pantry and in the fridge before cooking.
One day, a close friend of mine said, ” Wow Marilyn, you have such an amazing blog and your recipes are delicious and the photos are great!”. Then she said, “You must spend so much money on groceries to make your recipes?” Believe it or not the answer was NO. We don’t spend more just because we have a blog. We choose wisely when it comes to buying groceries. All the recipes on our blog are meals that we prepare for our dinners. We make enough food for about 6 servings so that there is leftovers for lunch the next day. Amazing Hey!
With all said, I am going to share with you, how we do our grocery shopping. It’s a simple method and after doing it a few times, you’ll even do it blindfolded. I have shared our method with a few people and they have been able to save up a lot and eat healthier. Now, they stick to the same budget week after week.
So how do we keep in the budget?
Here is a short list to help you out.
- Make a list of what is missing in the fridge and pantry.
- Plan what you are going to have for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner. (this process becomes mechanical after a few weeks)
- Only do grocery shopping once a week. That is it! If you forgot to buy something that week, simply add it to the list for the next week. Don’t go back to get it.
- When entering the grocery store, go directly to what’s on the list. Don’t walk down each isle, if you don’t know were an item is, simply read the board over each isle before going in. Yes, this is what I do!
- Do not go hungry to the grocery store. Believe me, if you go with an empty stomach, you are more likely to buy more.
These are my tips to help you save money when going grocery shopping. If you follow this list, you will keep in your budget.
As a mom, I know that we are all so busy. In this blog, I make my recipes things about what I’m going to make for my family. So, I will try to help you every week plan your meals. When you stroll through our family recipes, in this blog, you will notice that our recipes are simple, homemade, tasty, healthy and made with simple ingredients. They are recipes that we make for our weekday dinners, weekend lunches, snacks and our Sunday breakfast.
Hope you join us and thanks for visiting.