It is the season to want to enjoy a warm bowl of soup, once in a while or I would suggest everyday! On the menu for today, we have Creamy Pureed Butternut Squash Soup. It is simply an enjoyable smooth puree.
I must say, coming from a Portuguese background it is more a costume to eat a hearty or pureed soup than a heavy creamy one. Our soups are based on a lot of vegetables and homemade chicken broth. This is what we enjoy when eating a bowl of soup. We do use the word creamy, but that does mean we add cream to it! It just means that it doesn’t have flowing chunks of veggies in it, because we puree it.
During this time of year, I would suggest “add all the veggies you want into a pot of soup and make it hearty and consistent”. It’s a delicious idea and it could be a wonderful healthy hearty meal as is. But sometimes we simply need a starter to go with our dish. In that case, we prefer a smooth light puree with only a few veggies.
Now, using homemade chicken broth is a bonus. Truly simple to make! I wonder, do you make your own chicken broth or would you like me to help you make it from scratch?
Creamy Pureed Butternut Squash Soup
A smooth Butternut Squash Puree. Perfect for any day of the week!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 600 ml homemade chicken broth or
- 1,2 L bought chicken broth
- 600 ml water, if using homemade chicken broth
- 300 grams potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 550 grams butternut squash, peeled, unseeded and chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp dry parsley.
- Step 1 In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, while stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, for about 8 minutes.
- Step 2 Pour in the broth, water if necessary, add in the squash and potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Step 3 Adjust the salt and reduce the heat to medium. Allow it to simmer until potatoes and squash are tender, for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Step 4 Using a hand blender, on low speed, puree vegetables until smooth.
- Step 5 Over the puree sprinkle parsley and serve hot.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?