Fish Stew has always been a favourite dish in our home. It is a family recipe, so we hope by sharing it with you, it may also become a family favourite in your home. While preparing the stew, we always make more than for the 4 of us, because with the leftover Fish Stew we make Fish Soup for the next day. Either dish is delicious!
How to make Fish Stew into Fish Soup
While making Fish Stew for dinner, think ahead about how delicious this dish would taste if it was a Fish Soup! All those rich flavours wrapped into one while sitting in the fridge over night, waiting to be eaten the next day is the perfect starter for any meal. In this case, add a few more potatoes, fish fillet into the fish stew and enjoy the meal served over some rustic toasted bread. Delicious! The next day you simply add a cup of water to the stew, blend all the ingredients, except for the fish, and add a few drops of piri-piri. The piri-piri is very important to this dish, it brightens up the flavours of the soup.
This delicious fish fillet stew is loaded with rich flavours and fresh vegetables. Served over rustic bread makes a perfect meal!
- Olive oil, drizzle until pan is lightly covered
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 celery stems, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 large beef tomatoes, chopped
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in slices (5 mm thick)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 thyme stems
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 cups boiling water, fill until potatoes are covered
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 fresh fish fillets
- Step 1 Heat olive oil in a large non stick skillet on medium heat. Add the chopped onions, garlic, bell peppers, celery, dry basil and paprika and let it cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and translucent.
- Step 2 Add the tomatoes, potatoes, bay leaf and thyme stems. Pour in the white wine and boiled water. Season with salt and black pepper and bring it all to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 3 Add your fish fillets and bring it back to a boil, then reduce to low heat and allow the stew to simmer for another 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the fish is cooked through and flakes apart.
- Step 4 Serve the fish stew over some slices of rustic toasted bread and allow the bread to soak in the fish broth. Enjoy it while still hot!
How to make Fish Soup with the leftover Fish Stew
This delicious fish Soup is loaded with rich flavours and fresh vegetables. Perfect dish to start any meal!
- whatever is left of the fish stew
- 1 to 2 cups of water, depending on how much fish broth is left in the skillet
- piri-piri, 4 drops
- cilantro, 3 chopped stems
- Step 1 Remove the fish fillet from the stew and transfer whatever is left from the stew into a pot.
- Step 2 Add a cup of water. Bring it to a boil.
- Step 3 Add in the 4 drops of piri-piri and season with salt if necessary.
- Step 4 Blend the soup with a hand blender until it is smooth. At this point if the soup is too firm and thick, add 1/2 cup or 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil.
- Step 5 Gently apart the fish fillet into the soup.
- Step 6 Lower the heat and allow the soup to simmer for a few minutes.
- Step 7 Garnish the dish with chopped cilantro and enjoy it hot!