Low Fat Creamy Green Bean Casserole is a simple easy recipe. It’s a wonderful side dish that goes well with whatever meat you serve. It’s a classic family favourite and I believe it’s truly healthy. We couldn’t be happier with this dish. For me, it’s a challenge to serve simple cooked beans in my home. No one seems to be happy with that dish. They say is boring! So that is why I combine green beans with yogurt and place it in the oven on broil to achieve that golden crust on top.
How to make Green Bean Casserole
To make this creamy delicious dish, we use onions, a pinch of flour, milk, 100% natural yogurt and herbs. The topping is a combination of mozzarella cheese, breadcrumbs and dry Parmesan and then placed in the oven on broil. Wow it’s so good!
Another side dish that you may enjoy!
If you are into cheese, eating healthy and enjoy eating delicious side dishes, try our amazing Roasted Cauliflower with fresh Italian Sausage. If you prefer, you can always replace the sausage with Brussels Sprouts. I have made these two side dishes in many occasions, especially, when I have many family and friends over, and they always ask me for the recipe. So, I would suggest cooking some Green Bean Casserole for dinner and Roasted Cauliflower for tomorrows dinner!
I would totally recommend a Saute Pan to successfully make this Creamy Green Bean Casserole, it’s wonderful to have in the kitchen!
Low Fat Creamy Green Bean Casserole
A family favorite Green Bean recipe, it's low in fat, creamy and high in protein.
- 500 grams green bean, trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of dry thyme
- 200 grams 100% natural yogurt
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, diced
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp dry Parmesan
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to broil. Coat a baking dish with non stick spray.
- Step 2 In a small bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and parsley and set aside.
- Step 3 Blanch the Green beans, meaning: Place the beans into a strainer and cook them in a pot of boiling water, for about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove The beans from the boiling water and place them under cold running water to halt the cooking process. Let the beans sit in the strainer to dry.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, in a large wide saute pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and stir until translucent and lightly caramelized.
- Step 5 Sprinkle the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Step 6 Pour in the milk 1/2 a cup at a time and continue stirring while pouring in the milk.
- Step 7 Add in the the salt and pepper, the nutmeg and dry thyme. Let cook and continue stirring for about 8 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Step 8 Remove from the heat and fold in the natural yogurt into the sauce until combined.
- Step 9 Transfer half of the green beans into the prepared baking dish. Then, spread half of the yogurt sauce over the green beans. Transfer the remaining green beans and over them the remaining yogurt sauce.
- Step 10 Spread mozzarella cubed over the dish evenly and sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the mozzarella.
- Step 11 Place the dish into the oven to broil. Remove it after 2 minutes or when the casserole is nicely crispy and brown on top.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on the link and end up buying this product, I make a percentage of the sale! The products that I mention on my post I truly recommend them.