Melted Ham and Cheese is very popular in Portugal. We call it, “Tosta Mista”. It is one of those best sellers in any Coffee Shop or Portuguese Bakery.
Why are Melted Ham and Cheese so delicious and unique?
It’s the combination of that hearty bread, with the melted buttery cheese blended with the flavours of the ham and bacon that makes it so amazing and delicious to eat. I just love when it has a lot of cheese.
There are two types of bread that I would recommend, when making Melted Ham and Cheese. They are very easy to find in any Portuguese Bakery.
- A heavy uncut loaf of bread. Believe me, the results are not the same if you decide to use sliced store bought loafs, because they are light, soft, full of air and it just won’t hold the sandwich together.
- A Rustic Country Bread, which we call “Pao Caseiro” is a great hearty bread. It’s strong and it has a crispy crust.
The traditional Tosta Mista, that you will find in Portugal is a grilled buttered sliced loafed bread with ham and melted cheese. It’s delicious and I guaranty that you will have room to eat another. That said, I enjoy serving a buttered Rustic Country Bread with prosciutto, ham, melted cheese and a pinch of oregano on top. That is what I call a Melted Ham and Cheese with Prosciutto.
The best way to improve this Melted Ham and Cheese is to sprinkle some cheese and dry oregano on the outside of the bread. It creates a crispy, cheesy crust.
When we have Melted Ham and Cheese with Prosciutto for dinner, I would serve it with one of our homemade cozy soups:
Melted Ham and Cheese with Prosciutto
A delicious recreation of a very popular Portuguese grilled sandwich, called Tosta Mista
- 2 slices of Rustic Country Bread
- 4 slices of Havarti Cheese
- 1 slice of Smoked Black Forest Ham
- 1 slice of Prosciutto
- grated Mozzarella cheese
- pinch of dry Oregano
- Step 1 Cut 2 slices of bread and spread the butter on the inside of the 2 halves.
- Step 2 On one slice, layer the cheese, ham, prosciutto, another slice of cheese and top it off with the other slice of bread.
- Step 3 Close it, and on a baking sheet place it in a sandwich Grill, over medium heat, press down over the bread for about 2 minutes.
- Step 4 Open the grill and spread butter on each side and sprinkle with some grated Mozzarella cheese and dry Oregano. Let grill for about 2 more minutes or until golden brown. It should be Crispy on the outside and melted in the inside. Cut in half and serve right away.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag me @familyfoodaroundtheclock on Instagram and include the hashtag #family14grams . I would love to see your tasty creations!