Pureed Sweet Potato with Butternut Squash and Broccoli is a delicious combination. To eat what’s growing during the season is always a great idea, plus there is abundance of it, so it’s economical as well.
Fresh vegetables in season during the month of February
Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Butternut Squash, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Collard Greens, Kale, Leek, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes are fresh and in season during this month. Carrots aren’t as fresh but they are a year-round supermarket staple. Carrots actually have two seasons. There’s a late spring crop as well as a fall crop. The fall harvest goes into cold storage for the winter.
I am a big fan of pureeing my soup especially because we have a little one year old that enjoys eating the soup we eat. So I tend to use fresh vegetables, and homemade broth. This soup may be a bit sweeter than other soups that I have made before. This time, I used sweet potato, butternut squash and carrots. The chicken broth, cuts that sweetness but not too much.
Pureed Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Broccoli Soup
Delicious homemade broth makes a big difference when making this pureed soup. Perfect as a starter for any meal of the week!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 grams sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium size carrots, peeled and chopped
- 400 grams butternut squash, peeled, unseeded and chopped
- 3 cups homemade chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- salt, to taste
- 200 grams broccoli florets.
- Step 1 In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, sweet potatoes, carrots and butternut squash and cook until onions are soft and translucent, for about 8 minutes.
- Step 2 Pour in the broth, and water. Bring to a boil and adjust the salt. Reduce the heat to medium. Allow it to simmer until the sweet potatoes and butternut squash are fork tender, for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Step 3 Using a hand blender, on low speed, puree vegetables until smooth. Add the broccoli florets and allow them to cook for a couple of minutes or until fork tender.
- Step 4 Serve hot.
MORE SIMPLE RECIPES TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag me @familyfoodaroundtheclock on Instagram and include the hashtag #family14grams . I would love to see your tasty creations!