Frittata or Omelette are two delicious egg based dishes. Great to serve in a breakfast brunch, a super simple and quick dinner or simply enjoying it in a bun for lunch. Both are made with beaten eggs and enriched with vegetables, cheese and sometimes smoked or cooked meat.
How to make a Frittata
Vegetables, cheese and meat are combined with the beaten egg mixture while the eggs are still raw. In a iron cast skillet or oven safe pan, the mixture is cooked over a very low heat, for about 10 minutes. During this time you have a lid covering the egg mixture. The iron cast skillet and the lid allows the egg mixture to cook evenly, without burning the bottom while the top is slightly runny. The partly cooked Frittata is now turned over in full or placed under broil to achieve that golden crust on top. This dish reminds me of a thick crust-less quiche and its purpose is to serve more than one person.
How to make an Omelette
When making an omelette, you what to achieve a thin fluffy layer of egg. When the egg mixture is mostly cooked, place the vegetables, cheese and cooked or smoked meat in the centre before folding it. This dish is made with whole eggs beaten, with a small amount of milk or cream, fried with butter or olive oil in a frying pan. This dish is generally served for one person.
Delicious homemade Frittata
With all said, my husband made an amazing Omelette filled with delicious ingredients. The only difference was, it wasn’t really an omelette but a Frittata. That is why I did a little research before posting this recipe to understand the difference between both.
This delicious and loaded Frittata is an amazing dish to eat as a snack or a delicious dinner!
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 eggs
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
- linguica, 10 thin slices
- smoked black forest ham, sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- sliced green olives
- Mozarella, grated
- Parmesan, grated
- 3 parsley stems, chopped
- Step 1 Drizzle the olive oil and place the butter into a non stick pan on low heat and allow the butter to melt half way.
- Step 2 Meanwhile beat the eggs in a small bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- Step 3 In the non stick pan transfer the chopped onions, linguica, and smoked black forest ham. While stirring add in the tomato sauce and soy sauce.
- Step 4 Now that the onions are soft pour in the beaten eggs. Continue on low heat and place over the egg mixture, sliced green olives, and grated Mozarella cheese. Top it by sprinkling some Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Step 5 Place a lid over the pan to allow it to cook evenly.
- Step 6 After a few minutes when the top isn’t as runny place a plate over the pan and flip the Frittata onto the plate.
- Step 7 Transfer the Frittata back into the non stick pan, cover with a lid and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Step 8 Serve it warm with a fresh tomato salad on the side!
ANOTHER SIMPLE RECIPE TO ENJOY!
DID YOU MAKE THIS FRITTATA?
Tag @greenhousepantry on Instagram and include the hashtag #greenhousepantry . I would love to see your tasty creations!